Harghita

Bistrita-Nasaud

Eastern Transylvania


Western Transylvania

General Information

Transylvania Proximity

Location:



Alba Iulia

   Main Page | Historical Center Alba Iulia | Accomodation in Alba Iulia

Alba Iulia During the Roman period the settlement was called Apulum. The second part "Iulia" refers to "Julius" (in Hungarian Gyula), the deputy leader of Transylvania. Its Hungarian name Gyulafehérvár literally means "white castle of the Gyula" or "white city of Julius" and it is a translation of the Slavic "Belgrade" ("white castle"). The old Romanian name of the town was Bălgrad originated from Slavic too.

In 955 it was called Gyula dux Civitatem Albam in Ereel. Later in the Middle Ages different names occurred as Frank episcopus Belleggradienesis in 1071, in 1134 Albae Civitatis, in 1153 Belegrada, in 1177 Albensis Ultrasilvanus, in 1199 eccl. Micahelis, in 1200 Albe Transilvane, in 1201 Albe Transsilvane, in 1206 castrum Albens, in 1213 canonicis Albensibus, in 1219 Albensis eccl. Transsylvane, in 1231 B. Michaelis arch. Transsilv., in 1242 Alba... Civitas, in 1245 Alba sedes eptus, in 1291 Alba Jula, in 1572 Feyrvar, in 1574 Feyérvár, in 1576 Weissenburg, in 1579 Belugrad, in 1619 Gyula Feyervár, in 1690 Gyula Fehérvár, in 1715 Karlsburg. Beside the name Karlsburg another German name Weyssenburg was also used.

click on a thumb for larger image

Alba Iulia  Alba Iulia   Alba Iulia
Alba Iulia  Alba Iulia   Alba Iulia
Alba Iulia  Alba Iulia   Alba Iulia
Alba Iulia  Alba Iulia   Alba Iulia
Alba Iulia  Alba Iulia   Alba Iulia
Alba Iulia  Alba Iulia   Alba Iulia
Alba Iulia  Alba Iulia   Alba Iulia
Alba Iulia