The Cincu evangelical church was built in the thirteenth century by German settlers, then was rebuilt in the first half of the sixteenth century in Gothic style and later in the eighteenth century. Unlike many other churches, it was a double feast, that of the Virgin Mary and of St. Paul. The churches interior presents a series of archaic elements by which experts have dated the construction year as being 1265. These elements are frequently met in Roman basilicas built in the thirteenth century.
The fortified church was first mentioned in a privilege granted by Mathias Corvin in 1474 to the people defending the fortress. Initially the church present three unequal in height naves that were altered over time so now all of them have been brought to the same level. The bell tower is located in the western part of the church and was renovated after a fire and this changed its size compared with the naves side.
As one of the most valuable monuments of medieval architecture in
Transylvania, the church houses within it a series of collections of
– a collection of Oriental carpets dating from the XVII-th to the XVIII-th centuries;
– a collections of emblems and relics of various guilds and corporations;
– the altar that present the disbelief of apostle Thomas, altar with a stone on which are inscribed the words of Jesus to Thomas:
“Dominmeus et Deus meu Toma quia vidisti beati qui non viderunt et credierunt.”