Cisnadie was mentioned for the first time in a document from the year 1204 under the name “Rivetel”. In the 12th century Saxon colonists settled here, and in 1323 the German name Heltau is mentioned. The town flourished, particularly the guilds of blacksmiths and wool weavers (weaving remained the traditional occupation of the town population until the 20th century, when large textile factories were built).
Cisnadie shared most of Transylvania’s eventful history. The town suffered several raids, starting with the 1241 raid of the Mongols and continuing with Ottoman attacks.
Cisnadioara is a village located 2 km west of Cisnadie. The fortified church, built entirely of stone, was first referred to in a document dated November 20, 1223, which mentioned its donation to the abbey. The oldest Romanesque style church in Romania, it stands atop a 100-meter high hill, surrounded by circular fortifications, with a defensive turret above the entrance. Some of the original walls have been preserved to this day.