The feudal Castle in Fagaras, whose construction began in the late fourteenth century and continued through successive additions until the middle of the eighteenth century, was preceded by a wooden fort, surrounded by a moat and wave of land, archaeological attested to XII century.
In XV century the fortress of stone and brick from Fagaras, which was a military defense fortress, had a quadrilateral enclosure with four towers and bastions at the corners and a barricade type tower outpost on the east side.
After the splitting of the Hungarian Feudal Kingdom in 1541, following
the defeat of Mohacs, Transylvania became an autonomous principality
under Ottoman suzerainty. In this framework, the domain and the Fagaras
fortress became the property of hereditary princes of Transylvania. Many
have given Fagaras special attention contributing to cultural and
economic development of entire area.