Located in the southern of Campulung Muscel city, on the former territory of Salt Water village that today is part of Campulung, Jidava Roman fort (Sidova or Jidova in the ancient history) is part of the defense system Limes Transalutanus. The system was built by the Roman emperors Commodus and Septimius Severus in 190-211 (it started in Turnu Magurele and ended at Bran Step, having a length of 235 km) having 13 roman camps including Jidava camp. It was the largest of them having dimensions of about 130 meters/100 meters, being the only one built with stone and burnt brick.
According to archaeological excavations in 1876, the archaeologist
Demetrie C Butculescu discovered the ruins the camp and a lot of
material traces that are found today in Arges County Museum. Jidava
Roman fort belongs to the category of auxiliary camps. Its size of about
1.3 hectares is framed between the ranks of cohort camp and research
camp, being able to accommodate between 200 and 400 soldiers.