– The Council Tower – It is one of the most famous monuments of Sibiu. It bears this name because it used to defend the entrance gate into the second precinct, situated in the immediate vicinity of the building which once hosted the City Hall of Sibiu, mentioned in the documents for the first time in 1324 (no. 31, Small Square, recently rehabilitated). The nowadays edifice is the result of several construction phases, the building having been super-elevated and even incorporated in a group of buildings. Only the nucleus erected at the level of the first floor was probably preserved from the initial building.
– The Harquebusiers Tower – It was rebuilt on an octagonal foundation. It later became the Weavers’ Tower, named after the guild which administrated it. It is the southernmost of the three towers. The tower has the shape of an octagonal prism with the superior part standing out from the main body, supported by consoles with arches in which holes for launching are placed.
– Huet Square with Evanghelic Church – The Square was formed on the location of the first fortified precinct of Sibiu. The actual precinct dates from the end of the 12th century, the existence of the prepositure in 1191 being an “ante quem” term for the dating of the actual surface of the square. The buildings were erected on the line of the first walls at the time when the fortification lost its practical purpose, starting with the second half of the 14th century, along with the complete fortification of the “Upper Town”.
– The Deffence Walls – various defence walls from the middle ages.
– The Large Square – This is the historic center of Sibiu, first mentioned in documents in 1411 as a cereal market, the square existing since 1366 when the third fortification belt of the city was finalized. Staring with the 16th century, the large square became the center of the old city. For hundreds of years the square was named Der Grosse Ring or Grosser Platz, between the two world wars it was called King Ferdinand Square, the communists named it the Republic Square and starting with 1990 it returned to its original name.
– The Orthodox Cathedral – is the seat of the Romanian Orthodox Archbishop of Sibiu and Metropolitan of Transylvania. It was built in the style of a Byzantine basilica, inspired by Hagia Sophia, with the main spires influenced by Transylvanian church architecture and Baroque elements.