Șoarș was a free commune of the Seat of Cincu. The present church devoted to Saint Jacob appeared in two papal indulgences in 1449 and 1466. The tower on the west, the nave and the polygonal choir, have the same height, the last two being covered with the same roof.
There are semicircular entrances of the north and south sides of the first floor of the tower; its interior was covered with a cross vault with stone ribs. The entrance inside the nave is made through a pointed arch portal with a continuous archivolt with four withdrawals.
At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, the church underwent defensive transformations. In 1506 and 1507 the community received 12 guilders for the strengthening of the church. The arch on the north side of the ground floor of the tower was walled in, and its last level received a timber gallery.