The first document mentioning Viscri is a record of church taxes dated around the year 1400, in which the village is referred to as being part of the Rupea parish.
The origins of the fortified church date from 1100 when the Szeklers built a small church with a single hall and semicircular apse. Around 1185 the church was taken over by Saxon colonists, and the Szecklers were forced to settle in southeast Transylvania. To this day, the church is surrounded by a cemetery with gravestones dating back to the Bjielo-Brdo culture.
In the 14th century the east part of the church was rebuilt. The first fortifications with towers were added around 1525. In the 18th century the church was surrounded by a second defense wall. After 1743 a covered corridor for the storage of corn was built. A century later, two chambers in the defense corridor of the bastion were turned into school rooms. The classic 19th century altar has as centerpiece “the Blessing of the Children” by the painter J. Paukratz from Rupea. The font was made from a capital of the 13th century church.