Harghita

Bistrita-Nasaud

Eastern Transylvania


Western Transylvania

General Information

Transylvania Proximity

Location:



Jidava Roman fort

   

  Dambovicioara Cave | Dambovicioara Gorge | Jidava Roman Fort | Heroes Mausoleum Mateiaş | Câmpulung Muscel | Accomodation Arges

Jidava Roman fort Located in the southern of Campulung Muscel city, on the former territory of Salt Water village that today is part of Campulung, Jidava Roman fort (Sidova or Jidova in the ancient history) is part of the defense system Limes Transalutanus. The system was built by the Roman emperors Commodus and Septimius Severus in 190-211 (it started in Turnu Magurele and ended at Bran Step, having a length of 235 km) having 13 roman camps including Jidava camp. It was the largest of them having dimensions of about 130 meters/100 meters, being the only one built with stone and burnt brick.

According to archaeological excavations in 1876, the archaeologist Demetrie C Butculescu discovered the ruins the camp and a lot of material traces that are found today in Arges County Museum. Jidava Roman fort belongs to the category of auxiliary camps. Its size of about 1.3 hectares is framed between the ranks of cohort camp and research camp, being able to accommodate between 200 and 400 soldiers.

click on a thumb for larger image

Jidava Roman fort  Jidava Roman fort   Jidava Roman fort
Jidava Roman fort  Jidava Roman fort   Jidava Roman fort
Jidava Roman fort  Jidava Roman fort   Jidava Roman fort
Jidava Roman fort   Jidava Roman fort