Harghita

Bistrita-Nasaud

Eastern Transylvania


Western Transylvania

General Information

Transylvania Proximity

Location:



Medias

Main Page | Accomodation in Medias

Medias Medias has one of the best preserved historical centers in Romania and also some well preserved medieval fortifications. One of the most impressive symbols of the town is the Tower of the Bugles, which is about 70 meters tall. Its construction started in the 13th century. In the 15th century it was raised to 5 tiers. The St. Margaret Church was finished at about the same time. Later, 3 more tiers were added in only 2 months.

The roof consists of colored vitrified tiles, and 4 turrets were built. The tower had a guard, who would sound his bugle whenever an enemy approached. Therefore the tower has this name. The tower has in its South-Western corner (between the clocks) a small wooden man who rings a bell, thus announcing in advance when the clock will ring on the hour. The heavy pressure of the tower on the sandy soil is the reason why the tower is slightly tilted to the North. Between 1927 and 1930, and later in 1972, the tower was consolidated. The tilt of the tip compared with the base is 2.32 m.

click on a thumb for larger image

Medias  Medias   Medias
Medias  Medias   Medias
Medias  Medias   Medias
Medias  Medias   Medias
Medias  Medias   Medias
Medias  Medias   Medias
Medias  Medias