Harghita

Bistrita-Nasaud

Eastern Transylvania


Western Transylvania

General Information

Transylvania Proximity

Location:



Oradea

   Main Page | Historical Center Oradea | Accomodation in Oradea

Oradea The first documentary acknowledgement of the city was noted in 1113 in a diploma of Benedictine abbey of Zobor. The context in which it is mentioned for the first time the toponymy Oradea (Varadinum) was caused by the repeated and destroying incursions of the Moravian prince Svatopluk, in his capacity of ally of the German emperor Henry IV, over a significant number of settlements on the Valley of Vahului and Nitrei (of today’s Slovakia).

In the second half of the 19-th century Oradea will know a sustained industrial development. The sources of income of the city came from the rents of the establishments and own houses, from the taxes levied to large and medium enterprises and from customs. There were 4 customs in 1899: pavement customs, fair customs, bridge customs and customs of rafts flowing down Criș.

From the urban point of view several achievements could be noted during this period. New parks appeared, such as the one made by the rearrangement of the banks of Crișului River from the current Liberty Square (1890-1892) or the one between the base of hills and Criș, near Continental Hotel, born on a surface donated to the city by will by the canon V. Bunyitay in 1908. Then emphasis was placed on the problem of common transportation, on 7th March 1906 the first three tramway waggons were given for use in Oradea. The necessity of potable water for a population on the increase was solved by the building of a plant which filtrates the water coming from Criș, given for use in January 1895, and the matter of public lighting found partial resolution by the introduction of electrical lighting beginning with 1904. In parallel, new constructions come to complete the image of the city: Black Eagle Palace, station building, premonstratens gymnasium and Law Academy (Mihai Eminescu High School), Real State Higher School (Emanuil Gojdu High School), Post Palace, Pannonia Hotel (the current Transylvania), Museum of the city, the two synagogues, the current building of the Prefect’s Office, Ullman Palace etc.

click on a thumb for larger image

Oradea  Oradea   Oradea
Oradea  Oradea   Oradea
Oradea  Oradea   Oradea
Oradea  Oradea   Oradea
Oradea  Oradea   Oradea
Oradea  Oradea   Oradea
Oradea  Oradea   Oradea
Oradea